Holding Up The Universe ♡ Book Review

Saturday 3 June 2017



If I'm going to read a book, it needs to be able to keep me entertained within the first few pages, otherwise, I won't read it. 
I really felt like reading a book one day, but all the ones I own, I'd already read. So, when I was in Cambridge, I decided to pop into Waterstones and have a search through the Young Adult/Teen Fiction section. After spending an hour in the shop, I came out with a book (which is the one I'm reviewing today!). 



I think I probably read this book within 3 days of buying it, which for me, is a big accomplishment! This book is amazing! Here are some reasons why I loved this book:
The language used throughout the book helped me to imagine all the characters and places in the story. 
Jennifer wrote the book in first person and the point of view shifts between the two main characters- Libby and Jack, so you get a feel of what it's like to live in their shoes. 
Finally, I can completely relate to Libby, Jack and the rest of the characters, and I think that's a reason why I instantly felt attached to this book.

Jennifer definitely did a lot of research to make this book, as there are a lot of medical terms used through out it, and I think that this helped to create characters that seem very realistic.
My favorite part of the book (I have loads of them, but I'll narrow it down to one), is when Libby stands in the middle of the school corridors in her purple bikini, that she bought when she lost weight, with pen written on her stomach, handing out flyers to her fellow students. You're probably reading this thinking 'this book is so weird, why would Nadia like that part?'... Well, let me tell you. Libby has never been able to do lots of things because of her weight and she would get bullied because of it as well. When her and a friend have a big argument, she feels so heart broken and worthless. So, she puts on the purple bikini and instantly feels inspired, and has the 'I can do this' mentality. She then gets on her computer and writes about how she is feeling and how people shouldn't bully each other and this leads us back to my favorite part.
I think that this part of the book is the best because it will inspire girls and boys like it did me. No matter everything that Libby had been through, she made all the things that were negative, positive and thought the best of the situation. Now, I don't think that if you're being bullied you should go to school in a bikini and let everyone watch, you should face the people that bully you.
I think Jennifer's message in this bit of the book was- to not let people hateful words destroy you, and that I think, is a very powerful message that can help young people going through a hard time.



If this book was to be put in a category, I think it'd be put as a romantic, adventure novel. 
Most books that are in the teen fiction romance category will be the generic story, where a boy and a girl bump into each other in the hallway at school and instantly fall in love. Those novels, to me, are boring and always end the same way. Holding Up The Universe, isn't the generic- boy meets girl and instantly fall in love, type of story. It is a story of love, hate, finding yourself (as cringey as it may sound), being confident and standing up for yourself. 

I felt sympathy for the main characters as they go through so much and they helped me realise that you shouldn't care about any of the bad things that people think about you, and you shouldn't ever be unkind to anyone as you don't know what they've been going through. 

To sum up, I think this book was grrreat and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves to read adventure/romance stories. It helped me build my confidence, have more gratitude and made me feel more positive about life. 

For me, this book was a solid,
(out of 5)

Make sure you give this book a try- you won't regret it!
Have fun reading,
your online best friend, 

Nadia xoxo

Even my Lilo and Stitch Tsum Tsum's loved the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment